Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Thou lovely Source of true delight

I was listening to this song in the car the other day (on the first Indelible Grace CD). The second line was the one that grabbed my attention. On Wednesday night, I'm speaking on the subject of what happens to those who don't hear the Gospel. Verse 2 of this song reminded me of the importance of the special revelation of God in Scripture.

"Thou lovely Source of true delight,
Whom I unseen adore;
Unveil Thy beauties to my sight,
That I may love Thee more.

Thy glory o’er creation shines;
But in Thy sacred Word,
I read in fairer, brighter lines,
My bleeding, dying Lord.

’Tis here, whene’er my comforts droop,
And sins and sorrows rise,
Thy love with cheerful beams of hope,
My fainting heart supplies.

Jesus, my Lord, my Life, my Light,
O come with blissful ray;
Break radiant through the shades of night,
And chase my fears away.

Then shall my soul with rapture trace
The wonders of Thy love;
But the full glories of Thy face
Are only known above."

- Anne Steele, Poems on Subjects Cheifly Devotional, 1760

No comments: